Friday, February 7, 2014

What to Expect...

Prior to performing any pollination, try to imagine the outcomes. Although mathematics never posed any threat to me, the theory of probability, statistics and combination is far beyond my intellectual scope, I am afraid. Therefore, I never calculate chances of a certain trait being transferred, but rather use the complementary principle. According to it, try to imagine how you could improve the already existing hybrids of abutilon. Some of them may lack luster, or size, or peculiarity, or whatever. Thus, I try to cross the plants which can mutually contribute something to one another.
I also have to say that not every hybrid will welcome a crossing. Some are simply infertile; others are just generally reluctant or, like us humans, are waiting 'for the right partner'. Unable to perform any laboratory gene tests, we can vastly rely upon the trial-and-error method thus gaining experience. I make myself a mental (and sometimes actual) note as to which pollination habit a certain hybrid has.
Anyway, the first and foremost thing in hybridization of abutilons one must know is: the seedlings will generally resemble the mother-plant (the recipient of pollen; on which the seeds pod grows) in shape and size, but will add the father-plant (the pollen donor) color hues.
Here are some hybrids of my fellow practitioners Elena Glushkova (abutilon Neon Pink, 2012) and Tatiana Tsepkova (abutilon Kleopatra, 2010).

Abutilon Neon Pink, 2012

Abutilon Kleopatra, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment